Friday, March 11, 2005

The fight for uniqueness

I just arm-wrestled my profile a little more. I noticed a few things.

First, I was bound and determined (have you ever noticed that if you're bound, you're usually determined?) to have a few things there that were real answers to the question, but didn't appear in anyone else's profile. I had to get to "easy silences" and "complete exhaustion" before I had that distinction. I still cannot believe "making fun of stuff" wasn't unique.

Second, nothing tells you who you are more than thinking of your list of favorite movies and then realizing that you are embarrassed to admit several of them. Don't assume, if you read my profile, that I think all of those movies are High Art. Several of them are that movie that I have to watch if I find it on, or that I watched at a certain point of my life and they helped me figure things out. *cough*The Cutting Edge*cough*after a disastrous dress rehearsal*cough*because it showed me it was possible to come back after a humiliating defeat and still accomplish something*cough*. Or maybe Love Actually, mainly because I love the Emma Thompson/Alan Rickman storyline, although it's weird to see Professor Trelawney and Professor Snape married to one another. Oh well, I suppose there are only so many upper-crusty British actors.

Third, I have four bookshelves bursting to the brim with books, and I can't find the justification to list half of them as "favorites". I've read a lot of "pretty good" books, many of which I will read again and have read several times before. Somehow, I need more from a book to list it as a "favorite".

I'm a picky bitch, aren't I?

2 comments:

Shocho said...

I did okay with favorite movies, but I had a lot of trouble listing favorite books. I'm not sure what that means. I also have tons of books I really like.

I hate the questions in the profile. I realize the concept of giving everybody the same questions and getting some kind of context, but I think they're dumb. I have a natural aversion to giving true answers to anything that looks like a test.

Anonymous said...

That's ok, I'm a picky bitch too. I even made a post a while back about how I have trouble picking "favorites," but I'm too lazy to go look for it right now. It's back in July or August, if you really want to do the research.

Oh, and pass this on to your husband:

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarper!

Doesn't work as well as "Smoot," though.