Monday, June 27, 2005

See the World From Your Keyboard

You can read about Google Satellite images at Slashdot. I heartily recommend reading the comments to see what people have already found. Tom and I looked for about twenty minutes for Rio Jesus to no avail. A cookie to anyone who can find it.

As an aside, I found that looking at anything I'd actually stood next to in person from hundreds of miles up made me nauseous. I got vertigo looking at the Eiffel Tower (cool pic though) because I know how massive it is and it just didn't compute in my brain that I should be hovering so far above it. The pyramids? Never been there, so they were not a problem.

You really should go look at the pyramids, though. Interesting to see what's sprung up around them, and around what the mister believed was the Nile. (It could be the Mississippi for all I know. I refer you to the title of the blog for an explanation of my cluelessness.) If you can't figure out what the big thing just to the northeast of the pyramids is (with the open spaces cordoned off by dividers into neat little sections, you may have to zoom in a bit to get a better look) come on back and I'll post it in the comments in a day or so.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Stuff I found:

Harbor Park

The HRBT

Oceana NAS

TPC at Virginia Beach

Iwo Jima Memorial (hard to see)

Jefferson Memorial

Smithsonian Museums (zoom out to see all, switch to the maps function to see which is which)

Various: Dept. of Commerce, Dept of Justice, the IRS (middle), the National Archives (far right), the FBI Building, and the Old Post Office Pavilion. (click the Map link in the upper right to see which is which)

The Ellipse and the White House

The Washington Monument

The Lincoln Memorial (Note all the baseball diamonds nearby...what's more American than baseball and Abe Lincoln? Makes me all warm and apple pie fuzzy.)

Well, that's enough to get you started.

Kathy said...

BTW, they all say "Norfolk Virginia" because that's where I started my search. Looks weird next to the Lincoln Memorial though.

Kathy said...

Ah, a couple for CK:

St. Louis Arch

Busch Stadium

And a couple for Tom:

Savvis Center

Miller Park (This will make you mad, it's really low res.)

Kathy said...

I know you're all waiting on tenterhooks. That strange mass near the pyramids on the east side is a big ol' golf course. Viva la civilization!