Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Headlines from venerable institutions

I do so hate to be the grammar police, but this is just sloppy. A real headline from the NYT today, according to my Google news page:

Michael Jackson Cleared After 14-Week Child Molesting Trial

Someone arrest that trial! It's molesting a child!

Psst. NYT. Why don't you worry less about making me remember a freaking free login to read your newspaper online and more about writing headlines that actually mean what you want them to mean. The modifier you're looking for is "molestation", not "molesting". You are currently modifying the word trial, and not the word child.

It makes a big difference to the meaning of the sentence.

In other news, I highly recommend the new Google customized news/entertainment page, especially if you have a gmail account. (And if you don't and you want one, I have some invites, just let me know.) I especially like the quote of the day. So much so that I actually asked it to show me two quotes of the day, which ruins the "of the day" idea, but there you go. Today my favorite of the two is this one:

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.
- Vince Lombardi

Which reminds me, I should get to work.

3 comments:

Tom said...

Ah, a reading from the Brother Vince.

I loved sunday school growing up in Wisconsin.

TheGirard said...

Who needs school...I have "sucking at the geography" learn from.

Shocho said...

Google home page is interesting, but seems less coolish than the My Yahoo option.

Yeah, fuck that headline writer, how much does he get paid? Fire his ass. I hate him. I bet he has lousy coasters.