Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Science of Breakage

So I'm sitting here, happily using my laptop and surfing that crazy wave called the web. Suddenly, after no changes on my part, none of the sites I want to go to will resolve.

I restart, fiddle with a few things, double check that my wireless card is on (my laptop has a little switch on the front where you can turn the wireless card off--it's not impossible to flip it to off by accident) and still nothing. In fact, my browsers have started to give up immediately instead of trying to resolve the site.

I walked my dead tired ass into the office where there is a computer that is hard wired to the internet connection and everything is fine there. I reset the cable modem and the wireless router, just in case something got munged. Test the connection on the hard wired computer, everything's fine.

Walk back to the bedroom, check the connection. Nothing. Reset the wireless card. Nothing. Restart. Nothing.

Wait fifteen minutes. Go back, click on a few bookmarks. Nothing. Click on one more bookmark out of desperation. The bitch connects. Try the other ones. They all connect. Get mad. I didn't do anything to the computer in that fifteen minutes. I didn't do anything between clicking on the links that don't work and the one that suddenly did. WTF?

Then I came here to write this post. How do things break when there's been no change made to their state? Is there a freakly little timer built into the OS that determines when I get whacked and when things go back to normal, just to drive me insane?

I just. don't. get it.

1 comment:

Kindralas said...

We had similar problems with our wireless router, I think we pretty much chalked it up to some kind of interference that we couldn't control.

The only thing I can recommend is to make sure both router and computer are away from anything which could cause interference. Almost all electronics count, to some extent, as well as microwaves, and anything with a fan in it.