Monday, June 27, 2005

I Make Little Sense

I switched from the Today Show (sorry CK) this morning to NPR radio when the aforementioned perky morning show threatened to again talk about the star of the upcoming movie who is currently more famous for dating a girl from a WB drama than for acting. (Avoiding Google hits for either name. You know who I'm talking about.)

And now, here I am writing about that nutcase in my blog, because the mere act of switching morning entertainment because of him made me think about it some more.

I once worked the world's wackiest summer job, just before I left for college in 1990, selling dry cleaning discount cards door-to-door. I was average at it, making enough money to cover some expenses over the next year, but I had an absolutely terrible time with my co-workers. They were all devotees of the same "religion" that the aforementioned (or unmentioned) actor is also heavily involved in. They had a little chart up in the office keeping track of the levels they'd achieved, and they constantly talked about it when we were in the car driving to some neighborhood where we'd split up and flog our wares. I remember the greatest feeling of relief late that summer when they hired another new employee who wasn't a crazy person. I stuck with that guy for the next few weeks and we mercilessly made fun of them behind their backs.

I got the creepiest good luck card from them when I left at the end of the summer. I should have kept it but I put it in the trash as soon as I got home, the stuff they signed in it was so freaky.

I was a little curious about the details, I have to admit, because they were so darn secretive. When I bought a book called Bigger Secrets: More Than 125 Things They Prayed You'd Never Find Out, (link goes to a choice page from that book's ToC on Amazon--I get no kickback if you decide to buy it, just so you know) I have to admit that I was delighted to see the subject of what's going on behind all that smoke, mist, and volcano on those stupid commercials from the 1980's covered very well indeed. (Seriously, that book and its prequel are awesome if you're the curious sort. Peruse the rest of the ToC and see if you don't find it intriguing.)

Coming out against psychology and anti-depressants and bashing those who have found relief and happiness in one or both seems a bit rich coming from some yahoo who got roped into the brainless circus that is that particular ersatz religion.

This is why I can't ever see another movie that toon is in. It's not that I'm boycotting him, he's just so completely unbelievable a person to me that I can't possibly take him seriously in his trade. Honestly, if I found out my doctor or dentist was in the same cult as him, I'd switch there, too. This is why the mister will be looking for a movie buddy to see that particular flick, so you may want to drop him a comment or somethin'.

8 comments:

Tom said...

Yeah, who wants to go see stuff blow up with me?

TheGirard said...

heh..you called him a toon.

Shocho said...

There is a issue here about what an actor does in real life and how that affects your perception of him in a performance. I prefer to try to separate the performance from the beliefs. If you go to wikipedia and search for That Religion, you'll find a list of actors who ascribe to it. It's a really big list.

Kathy said...

It is a long list (at Wikipedia), but there weren't that many surprises there. Even the people on that list I didn't know were attached to it, I thought, "Hmmm. Makes sense."

And I should be clear. I am most emphatically not boycotting. I have no problem with other people watching movies with actors I can no longer take seriously because of this particular issue. I just know I wouldn't enjoy those movies because I'd be preoccupied thinking, "God, what a complete wack job." It's a waste of money and time, and there are other movies and distractions to keep me entertained.

Shocho said...

I guess my point is that if you find out too much about what your favorite actors do in their spare time, you won't be watching ANY movies at all. :)

erika said...

yay, NPR!

GiromiDe said...

Not to brag or direct traffic or anything, but I've just blogged this.

thisismarcus said...

I normally boycott That Actor anyway, on grounds of taste - and even commented on Dr Heimlich's blog that I wouldn't be seeing TWOTW. Then someone suggested going to the movies to see it, and I'm so bored I agreed in an instant. No will power.