Monday, June 06, 2005

Adventures in Maternity Clothing

I went to the mall last Friday night, because all of my current pairs of pants that I could wear to work all made me want to cry. I'm not that big yet, but I'm big enough to make myself uncomfortable. Worst of all possible situations, really, because that means you have to wear maternity clothes but you are not really big enough to fill them out yet. This means you look silly, or that you are in a Halloween costume and you forgot the pillow.

Speaking of pillows.

I went to the actual maternity store this time, because I heard they have good sales and this is the change of season sale time. What I heard was right, actually. Whole back half of the store was full of sale racks. However, the old adage, "there's a reason it's on the sale rack" was never more true, except for a few select items.

One of the nice women who was working in the store started a dressing room for me, and when I finally gave up looking and decided to start tryin' on, I found my selections, plus a goofy little pillow thing with a long velcro strap attached to it.

I actually giggled out loud when I realized what it was. It's a pretend baby, really, that you can use when you're in your first trimester. It's so you can see if the clothes will still fit you in the second and third trimesters, and to help you pick out pants early that you'll find comfortable later. There are a lot of different ways to approach the waistband issue, and most women like one and dislike the others, depending on what makes them comfortable.

I scoured the internet looking for a picture of the tummy try on pillow to go along with this post, and I was amused to see, among the pages that talk about how to use a pillow to help you sleep in the latter two trimesters, there was also at least one naughty site talking about using pillows for personal gratification. Ha.

2 comments:

DrHeimlich said...

Hmmm... bring your own pillows when you visit the pregnant lady's house. ;-)

Shocho said...

Hey, who doesn't want to sleep with their head on a surrogate baby?

Cool stuff, K. Keep it coming. This is stuff only the distaff get to find out. I want to know what's on the other side.