Friday, March 10, 2006

Zoo: Part Deux, Electric Boogaloo

Click here to see all 8 pics of this trip to the zooYou just can't keep us away from the zoo. Only this time, it was all three of us.

The weather was nicer than it's been, other than that freak 71 degree day the last time I went to the zoo. It was around 60 or 65, a little breezy. This first pic here was taken of the B in the Penguin and Puffin house, the only place she displayed any consciousness at all during her first trip to the zoo. She was much more awake this time, and she, I think you'll agree, was certainly spry enough to make some funny faces at the sight, sound, and smell of our arctic friends.

Click here to see all 8 pics of this trip to the zooOf course, she doesn't look as awake here. Babies get to take little two minute naps whenever they want. How is it that I can't get away with that?

Anyway, it was a nice day, filled with all the same "whoa, that's a cheetah" stuff from my last trip. It's still novel enough that two trips in a little over a week weren't really too much.

I would write here about what we saw one of the bears do, but I wouldn't want to be indelicate. Suffice it to say, I was glad the B wasn't older, because I didn't have to explain it to her, and an apt comment that could have been (and was, but not by me) made in response was, "If I could do that, I'd never leave the house." I should note at this point that this was a boy bear, and leave the actual act that we witnessed as an exercise for the reader.

Click here to see all 8 pics of this trip to the zooI was going to include a pic of Tom and the B to prove that we were all at the zoo, and then I realized that you can't see any of the actual zoo in the picture I chose. Well, tough luck. I like this one and I already cropped it for inclusion here. If you'd like to see photographic evidence of this that includes a very zoo-oriented giraffe, you'll just have to clicky clicky on one of the pictures here to see it. Come on, my photostream can use the views.

The B decided she was hungry not long after we set out into the zoo, making the sign for food that I wrote about a couple of posts ago. With every passing day (all three of them so far) since I began to suspect that she'd caught on, I'm more convinced that she truly is using the sign to communicate. I'm not saying she's a genius or anything like that (not SAYING it) but she certainly is good at making her wishes known. We sat on a bench right outside the very excellent carousel, which I didn't take any pictures of, but someone else did so now I don't have to, and she had some nosh. I can still hum the three songs the carousel plays, and we also had the delightful experience of watching a young father hold his (approximate age: three months) small baby out from the animal they were riding and then get kicked off by the kindly old man whose job it is to wave at the kiddies and lay the smack down on rule violators.

There are worse ways to spend a half hour than watching excited little kids ride around on carousel horses, puffins, storks, and just about any other sort of animal you'd care to name. If I was juvenile, I'd add that there is also a "wild ass" available to ride, but I'll also leave that as an exercise for the reader.

All in all, I give our day a 10/10.

4 comments:

Shocho said...

Sounds awesome, I love that zoo so much. Glad you guys all got to go together. I have seen the polar bears do frisky things in the spring, and also the giant tortoises.

DrHeimlich said...

Your daughter takes the best bug-eyed "oh-my-god-there's-a-camera-in-my-face" pictures I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Giant toroises get frisky? I can't help but laugh at the thought of that.

Anonymous said...

P.S. The pictures you share of your precious B do tickle me. What a character she is already. I still find it hard to believe you have a B...(I know this is cheesy) but I can't stop smiling.