Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Pregnancy Hormones

There's something about the teeming hormones that has turned me into a sap.

I have developed a pathetic attachment to that stupid credit card commercial with Five For Fighting's 100 Years. There's something about watching that goofy couple courting, then getting married, having a baby, then playing with the grandchildren that gets me. A year ago I would probably be writing an entry making fun of it, and now I get a little misty. Did I mention the word pathetic already? Yes, I see I have.

Also, I will pretty much watch the movie Love Actually whenever it comes on. Yes, it is quite funny in many places, but I watch it just as much for the heart-rending moments. A good example is when poor Karen (Emma Thompson) is in her bedroom listening to her new Joni Mitchell CD, realizing that it means her husband is cheating on her. She bends over as though someone has punched her in the stomach, and I know I would probably have the same physical reaction.

While I'm thinking about it, here are some of the best moments from Love Actually, since I'm watching it right now.

Billy Mack, after singing the wrong lyrics again: "Oh! Fuck wank bugger shitting arse head and hole!"

Karen: "There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?"

Natalie: Hello, David. I mean "sir". Shit, I can't believe I've just said that. Oh and now I've gone and said "shit" - twice. I'm so sorry, sir.
Prime Minister: It's fine, it's fine. You could've said "fuck", and then we'd have been in real trouble.
Natalie: Thank you, sir. I did have an awful premonition that I was going to fuck up the first day. Oh piss-it!

Sam: She doesn't even know my name. And even if she did, she'd despise me. She's the coolest girl in school and everyone worships her because she's heaven.
Daniel: Well, basically, you're fucked, aren't you?

The Prime Minister (Hugh Grant, who has many funny moments) dancing to the Pointer Sisters Jump and getting caught by a staffer.

Billy Mack: "So if you believe in Christmas, children, like your uncle Billy does, buy my festering turd of a record."

The piano music that plays when Juliet realizes the poor sap, Mark, is stupid in love with her despite the fact she's just married his best friend. Further, the way he paces around outside when he leaves, knowing exactly how fucked he is.

The Prime Minister going door-to-door looking for Natalie. He's begged by some random children to sing a carol, and he complies. He turns to silently goad his assistant (or whatever the guy is) into joining him. When the man starts singing, he does so in a reasonably impressive operatic tone, earning the most delightful confused look on the PM's face before he plows on, dutifully singing his song.

Mark's posterboard confession to Juliet, after which he decides that was enough and he can move on.

When the PM is discussing notable British contributions to the world, Harry Potter and David Beckham's left and right feet (separately) all make the list.

Billy Mack's manager, Joe: "Ten minutes at Elton John's and you're as gay as a maypole!"

Billy Bob Thornton as the Bill Clinton clone.

Joanna (Sam's dream girl) and her song at the end of the Christmas Pageant. Specifically, after she points at Sam and gets his hopes up, then he gets the world's crossest look ever after she points at about twenty more people after him.

Billy Mack in general, and his fight against the boy band, "Blue" for the #1 Christmas record. Bill Nighy is quite good really. If you've ever seen him in the B movie Underworld and in this, I would hope that you're as amazed as I am that he can completely transform himself into those two very different roles. I wish he'd get more work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christ, Bill Nighy seems to be everywhere (He Knew He Was Right, Canterbury Tales, Hitchhikers Guide etc) - deservedly so mind you. I liked the bit where he defaced the Blue poster, where Rowan Atkinson preparing the Christmas package, and the mistranslations between Colin Firth and the Portuguese woman. Oh yes, and the whole Milwaukee bit.

There was also one classic moment where it almost went Hollywood but rescued itself at the last minute. Firth jets to Europe (I forget where) on the last flight before Christmas and there is a cab just waiting for him at the curb side. In Hollywood he would have jumped in and zoomed off, in Love Actually he reaches for the door and someone gets in before him.

Good movie.

Kathy said...

Actually, that went from a Hollywood moment to a very British moment. He opens the door at the same time as an older lady reaches the cab. He nods his head to her and quite gallantly gives up the only cab at the stand to her in a gesture of chivalry.

Of course, he doesn't wait long for the next one to show up, but that was good karma for his selfless deed.

I do have to say, that Colin Firth storyline isn't my favorite, along with the body doubles or the trip to Milwaukee. I guess I'm a Prime Minister/Dad and stepson/Billy Mack sort of girl.

Shocho said...

Oh geez, THAT'S where I saw Bill Nighy before he played my favorite part in Hitchhiker's. Great movie, Love Actually, on my top 100.

Having a kid certainly makes me sappy about movie moments that previously did not affect me at all.

Tom said...

I liked the Colin Firth bits

DrHeimlich said...

Love Actually is also on my top 100. I love that movie, actually.

(groan)