Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Roadside Attractions

So, I've been watching Jeopardy lately, when I'm not napping when it's time for it to come on.

There's a champion who's been on for seven days now. I've come to the conclusion that he's pretty good with the Jeopardy-type knowledge, but he's a sissy.

And no one likes a sissy.

His first pick in the second round tonight was a rather incongruous $1600 in the Roadside Attractions category. None of the answers in that category had been selected yet. (It's like fingernails on a blackboard to me when someone jumps in the middle instead of starting at the top or going straight to the bottom if they need the money boost, but I acknowledge that's a quirk and many people wouldn't feel that way.)

He didn't even appear to ring for that question. When he got control of the board back, he asked for the $1200 clue in that category. He didn't answer that one either.

I also acknowledge that he may have tried to ring in and was beaten to it, but he was doing a pretty good job with the buzzer otherwise, and I didn't see his shoulders move. I was only watching because I thought if someone is cocky enough to jump in on the category in the middle, you'd have to think he felt confident enough to jump the gun and ring in early.

Later in the round, after the other answers in that category had been ignored for awhile, the champion picked the $400 clue in Roadside Attractions. It was a Daily Double. He had a $10000 lead.

Okay, so you're the guy who was cocky enough to zero in on the third and fourth most expensive clues in that category at the beginning, you'd think he'd jump at the chance to make a nice, fat, juicy wager on the second easiest answer.

"Come on. $5000!" I said.

"Uh, $400?" he said.

Pussy.

And he got it right, too! Not that you could really tell the difference.

$400. Peh.

7 comments:

DrHeimlich said...

Well, the reason that some players jump into the middle of a category like that is that they're actually looking for Daily Doubles. 99 times out of 100, they're either tied to the 3rd or 4th question in a category.

These players jump into the middle of a category they think they're strong in, hoping to either cash in big on the DD, or at least take it out of circulation for the other players.

In this case, after failing to turn up the DD and in fact missing the question completely, this guy obviously got gun-shy when he turned up the DD at the $400 level. But yeah, kind of a pussy move.

TheGirard said...

Get 'im!!!

Kathy said...

Dr. H:

Gosh, this is why I sucked at TCGs. I couldn't play the meta game. I've never considered that there is a statistical reason to start poking around at the third and fourth answers.

I guess I just thought they did it to annoy me.

Tom laughed at me a couple of times last night while I was watching Jeopardy. Once when I was yelling, "You wuss!" at the screen, once when I repeatedly yelled, "It's sunflowers, you moron!"

At least I provide entertainment to someone. Or is it edutainment?

DrHeimlich said...

Well, I can't prove they aren't doing it to annoy you.

TheGirard said...

K said - Gosh, this is why I sucked at TCGs.


G said - Well, maybe it's because yer a girl.


and then runs away shouting "I poked the bear, I poked the bear". ;)

Kathy said...

I assume that was an unfinished sentence, that was meant to end thusly:

Well, maybe it's because yer a girl, and you have much more important things to worry about than getting exactly the right card mix and playing the bitch until it could play itself.

Like winning 10 Days Across America EVERY TIME I PLAY! :)

TheGirard said...

That's cause I haven't played 10 Days Across America with you.

or something.