Saturday, July 16, 2005

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (no spoilers)



No spoilers here. Just a reading update.

I picked up the book at 12:05 a.m., was home by 12:15. I planned to stay up until 1:00 or 2:00 at the latest.

At 2 in the morning, I did some quick math in my head and realized I was knocking out about 120 pages an hour. Some more quick math told me that I would probably finish the book around 5:00 a.m. if I decided to.

At that point, when I weighed how tired I was against how much I wanted to keep reading, I actually didn't feel that tired. Certainly, had I put the book down, I would merely have laid back against the pillow and spent the hours until 5 a.m. speculating on what was going to happen rather than just reading the silly thing and finding out what does happen.

Once I got within a hundred and fifty pages or so, I pretty much had to just hang on and read the end.

So, I finished it at 5:05 a.m. and was in bed trying to sleep by ten after. I thought for a bit that I would finish earlier, as my pace picked up a bit, but the book got a little denser near the end, as they pretty much all have so far. In the end, that put me on a 130 pages/hour pace, which isn't bad as I was actually reading and not skimming.

I said no spoilers, so I won't talk about any of it here. I'd wager most people don't give a fig what I personally think about it anyway.

Please no spoilers in the comments, if any. The entry is marked as spoiler free and I therefore don't want anyone spoiled because of it.

9 comments:

Shocho said...

That is truly awesome. I hope it was worth the wait! I'm sure you're not the only one to have finished it this morning. You should find yourself a spoiler filled discussion group somewhere and discuss! I'm sure you're burning to talk about the plot with somebody. :)

TheGirard said...

As I was reading (alright, I can't tell a lie, I was skimming) this post about someone reading a book. I was trying to equate this to something that I might write about that you would be [sarcasm] equally enthralled about [/sarcasm]. My conundrum is that I don't think there is much that I could equate this to (something where I would blog about it and it would be about something that you have pretty much no interest in at all and in fact, you wouldn't be interested so much that you would skim the post instead of read it).

These are the types of things that I think about sometimes for no random reason....oooo..pretty colors.

TheGirard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shocho said...

Thanks to your enthusiasm, we did stay up until midnight on Friday and went to Wal-Mart to get the book. It was cool to see all these people swarming around the store waiting to pick it up! That was fun.

Kathy said...

As you know, Girard, I [sarcasm]write my whole blog just to entertain you[/sarcasm]. I'd hate to see what you wrote in the comment you deleted if the one you left was the nice one.

Just kidding, of course.

TheGirard said...

it was a double post...

I know...very anti-climatic

Anonymous said...

I have it and am waiting for SWMBO to read it first (I've still a couple of things to finish before I can get to it).

Without spoiling anything - did you feel the writing and story are holding up, getting better, or fading? I hear positive things about it but it must be a huge amount of stamina to keep producing to the same high standard and I was wondering.

Kathy said...

Very carefully, without spoiling anything...

In style, I think it is just as good as the other five.

What's odd about this book is that it is different, and not in the same ways that the other five books are all different from each other. I can't say more without spoiling things. It was definitely a change, and I have to read it again to really be able to evaluate it.

Things happened that I didn't want to happen. However, that doesn't bother me. It is her story, and the way she tells it, she could do just about anything as long as she was committed to it, and it would work as you read it. Had I read an outline of the book (or spoilers) and not the book itself, I would most probably have been unhappy. I wasn't, with the book.

All in all, it isn't my favorite of the six, but it isn't my least favorite. For some reason, I'll always like Goblet of Fire the most, I think.

Anonymous said...

i'm trying to get the gang talking about it on the message board. if you come over and play with me, i would be most happy.

az