Saturday, July 30, 2005

Freddy


Freddy
Originally uploaded by lostonpurpose.
God, I still love Queen.

I have I Love the 70's on in the background while I keep an eye on my eBay auctions, and the segment on Freddy Mercury and Queen just came on. One of the commentators called him, "Arguably the greatest front man of all time."

I agree.

Have you ever seen footage of them in concert? I mean, he could actually sing, could have been a brilliant composer in any style, and must have collapsed from complete exhaustion after every concert from all the effort he put in to every song. That was a concert ticket you must have gotten your money's worth.

He wrote everything. Pseudo 50's ballad (Crazy Little Thing Called Love), Comedy (Bicycle Race), plenty of hard rock (a bunch of songs, Tie Your Mother Down is a good example...the opening guitar riffs there are truly great), operetta/hard rock better than Tommy by a long shot (Bohemian Rhapsody), social commentary (Under Pressure), wry in-jokes (Loverboy)...I could go on.

He used guitars like Mozart used woodwinds. He had vocal technique either obtained through lessons or through an almost statistically unlikely natural talent for singing effectively.

Really. Love. Queen.

1 comment:

thisismarcus said...

Can't believe we were all so naive for so long. The band's called Queen FGS and everyone's surprised when Freddie comes out of the closet!