Friday, July 08, 2005

Strange Dreams

I have been having some odd dreams. I woke up from two of them thinking, "There's no way I'll forget that."

I, of course, only retained one of them into full consciousness. I think it was easier to retain because it had some elements to it that are either from recurring dreams of mine or that I may have cribbed from television and movies. Here it is:

I was walking into the main building at my college. It didn't look like it really does, of course. It looked more like a large, ritzy, Las Vegas-style hotel, with big open atriums and glass elevators. I was calm when I first walked in, but then I realized I was about to be late for French and I couldn't remember what classroom it was in. (I have this dream several times a year. Always about college, always about French class, and I can never remember where the classroom is.)

Honestly, how many classes to you have to skip before you can't even remember where the room is?

I was about to go to the office to ask for a copy of my schedule, but I decided to look for it myself. I walked up the stairs to the third floor and stuck my head in a classroom I thought might be it. It wasn't, but there was a ruckus going on inside, so I decided to stay. A friend of mine was there (no one I actually know, but in the dream, they were a good friend of mine) and I didn't want to leave them there to deal with it alone.

I soon saw that two birds had gotten in the classroom and were flying around. (This, I must have taken from a recent episode of Six Feet Under.) I shut the door to the classroom behind me and someone else was opening the window.

Someone else began to shoo the birds to the window, but then another person shouted that they had a flare gun. (Why a flare gun at a college class, I dunno.) He also said that he only had one shot (Lost). Before anyone could stop him, he shot off the flare gun.

Well, he scared the birds, all right. One at a time, they both took off for the window, then missed. When they hit the wall, they exploded into a mass of feathers and gruesome bird bits. My friend looked over the carnage and gave me a look that conveyed quite succinctly that she believed the flare gun guy was an idiot.

My work there done, I left to continue to look for my French classroom. I tried to take the elevator (no elevators at the real school, a disability lawsuit waiting to happen) but found it only went to floors 1-3. (The real school only has three floors.) I was sure my class wasn't there, so I kept walking.

I walked for a bit before I suddenly remembered that the class was in room 238! I doubled back to get the elevator for floors 1-3, but couldn't find it. I found another one, tucked away in a corner, and got onto it with two annoying, giggling girls. The glass elevator began to move, not just moving up and down, but side to side. (Willy Wonka?) It landed on the main floor and I was really angry that it didn't leave me on the second floor. I was sure it was the giggling girls' fault.

From there, the dream segued to something else that I can't remember now. The other weird dream that I thought I'd never forget is now lost forever. Given the goofiness of the one I did remember, I can't imagine this is much of a loss.

Late addition: Because I know I try to interpret dreams when someone else posts them, I thought I'd save you all the trouble:

To dream of dead or dying birds, foretells a period of coming disappointments. You will find yourself worrying over problems that are constantly on your mind.

To dream that you are lost, suggests that you may be trying to adjust and get accustomed to a new situation in which the rules and conditions are ever changing.

A dream that takes place in school may be a metaphor for the lessons that you are learning from your waking life.

To dream that the elevator is out of order or that it is not letting you off, symbolizes that your emotions have gotten out of control.

To see windows in your dream, signifies bright hopes, vast possibilities and insight.

To see a girl in your dream, represents your playful, innocent, and childlike nature. (Interesting, the girls in my dream annoyed me.)

4 comments:

Shocho said...

And don't forget, room 238 = 2+3+8 = 13 = 1+3 = 4, which means... aw fuck, I don't know what that means. Partly cloudy, chance of rain. Reply hazy, try again.

Not knowing your class location and/or schedule, I used to have that all the time. Now I don't. So there's hope.

John Berglowe said...

That's pretty funny actually. I finished my undergrad almost ten years ago and I STILL have that dream.

About a math class.

Major Rakal said...

I think the college dreams (can't find your class, realizing you have an exam in a class you forgot you were enrolled in, etc.) are pretty much endemic amongst college graduates. I was last a full-time student in 1973, and I still have them occasionally.

DrHeimlich said...

Count me in with the "back in college" dream crowd. I'm lucky if I have one, maybe two, dreams a year that I actually remember. But invariably, that one is a "gotta get to class" dream. Once, I even had that dream so strongly that upon actually waking up, I had a period of a couple of seconds where I thought, "what am I doing here? I have to get ready to get to class!" I mean, come on! What the hell is that?!