Friday, July 15, 2005

A Quick Left Turn

I was going to write a rant about the corruption rampant in today's politics. I read an article yesterday about how the remaining Enron executives just voted themselves upwards of 1000% pay raises. I thought the place was bankrupt, but I suppose it isn't quite yet. Sorry about all those pension funds, employees! And sorry about that whole rolling blackout stuff in California a few years back! Ha ha! Good thing the government doesn't seem to care about all the clearly illegal things you've done, and are still doing! I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with campaign contributions.

Then I heard on the news this morning that the Guvanah of Culliforna has been taking money from companies that manufacture performance-enhancing suppliments under an assumed name at the same time that he vetoed legislation to ban such supplements from high school sports programs.

This entry was going to be about my fervent wish that all elected officials were anonymous, known only by numbers during campaigning and their terms, if elected. You would have to vote for them only going by a list of where they stood on the issues, and they would have no "influence" to use to garner favors and it would thusly be more difficult to become corrupted by power and greed. Think of all the time this would free up during the news, when we wouldn't be talking about scandals and whatnot. They could actually report on who voted which way on which issues, and we could check up on old Virginia04340 or US49598 (your congressperson and president, respectively) to make sure they were voting along the platform they promised when we elected them.

I won't bother to flesh this fully out now, because, like I said, that's not what this entry is about anymore.

(Yes, fewer people would vote because it would require actual reading and thought, but those votes would be more motivated and better informed, and we'd be better off all around.)

Instead, I bring you the opportunity to read about Corned Beef Salad Loaf.

You can thank me later.

No comments: