Sunday, July 09, 2006

Worst Night Ever

So, yesterday.

It wasn't really all that bad until it got later in the day.

We went for a walk with the B. Came back, and I saw a can of diet coke on the table next to my laptop. I thought it was empty and I picked it up to throw it away, only to discover that it WASN'T EMPTY. You know when you pick up something and it's much heavier than you thought? How sometimes it just seems to slip out of your hands because you didn't pick it up the way you would have if it would have been even a little bit heavier?

Stupid thing slipped out of my hand and dumped fully half of its contents on the keyboard of my laptop. I had hopes that the aluminum panel at the bottom of the keyboard would protect the stuff that could short out, but this morning, after letting it spend the night next to the fan to dry out, it's a goddamn doorstop.

Sad. Very very sad. I hope we can find the parts that shorted and replace them, or at least salvage the hard drive and put it in an enclosure so I can get some data off of it.

Then I watched something that both did, and didn't, enhance my day. It was the Doctor Who S2 finale which I snagged on the QT online. I've seen the whole season, in some sort of legal gray area (or red area, but how else am I going to see it, as the Sci-Fi channel still hasn't inked a deal to bring it stateside) and this was the last episode I'd been waiting for. The next paragraph is written in white text in case you don't want spoilers. They are minor spoilers, more dealing with my reaction to what happened rather than a blow-by-blow account of the episode.

So so sad. Anyone who's read Mkae's blog knows Billie Piper was leaving the show, so they had to write her out. But did they have to wrench my heart out of its chest, then stomp on it repeatedly before slapping me in the face with it? I felt it was really, really well-scripted, well-acted as well.

But it finished downloading at 12:45 am and I couldn't stop myself from watching it. There I was, then, at about 1:30 am, unable to sleep with my mind buzzing about what I'd just watched and what might become of my laptop (whose fate was unknown at that moment).

I finally got off to sleep, but the baby awoke at 4:00 am, which she hasn't done in MONTHS. I changed her, fed her, and she seemed really sleepy. So was I, for the record, as I was on about an hour of sleep at that moment. Then the reason for her early awakening became clear. She was teething. Hard. I tried all sorts of stuff. Letting her bite on my finger and rubbing her gums seemed to help a little, but not enough. Biting on a washcloth, same thing. Cold, not so helpful. Teething toy, she seemed too upset to keep it in place.

Eventually, I decided that distraction has been the best thing to help with her teething so far. I put her in her exersaucer, where she played, surprisingly, happily, until she tuckered out. She went back to sleep around 7:00 and got three more hours of sleep, and so did I.

So, here I am, on four hours of sleep, which isn't terrible, but not great either. I have a dead laptop and a brain filled with Doctor Who that I can't talk to anyone about because I'll spoil the frack out of them. I have no idea how much fixing the laptop or salvaging my data from it will cost, because I think this is beyond my own personal kung-fu.

I'm just glad I put all my bookmarks in del.icio.us awhile ago. Now I just have to remember all my logins that were saved on that poor brick, and hope that I get something back out of it.

But enough about me, how was your night? (grumble)

1 comment:

Major Rakal said...

My commiserations about your laptop. There's nothing quite like that awful "Oh, shit!" moment when the soda washes over the keyboard and you know there's nothing you can do to stop it.

I hope you can at least recover your hard drive.