Thursday, April 13, 2006

Occupancy Permits and Bureaucracy, Oh, My

So it turns out that occupancy permit I bitched about having to get wasn't just about my lil' ol' township making some extra scratch on each home purchase. No, no. It turns out it's actually about small-minded politicians deciding who should be allowed to live in a house together. Yes, that's right. They make you register who lives in the house so they can decide whether it's a fit arrangement to allow into their town.

(Update: The link to the article has now been replaced with a link to the Google cache of the article, as the original copy of the story is now gone from the hosting server.)

Insert explatives about living in the mid-you-know-what here. I know it's not the mid-you-know-what's fault, but sometimes things here seem a little...discouraging.

If you're too busy to RTFL, I'll summarize. It's apparently okay to have one child in your house if you are two consenting adults living together out of wedlock, but it's not all right to have more than one. That's just flaunting your lack of family values, I guess. Here's the best quote:

At the hearing, Shelltrack said, one board of adjustment member, Norma Mitchell, even pointed at her and asked, "I don't understand why you as a woman didn't exercise your right to marry that man," before being hushed by another board member.

I'm all for marriage. Hell, I'm sure you all know by now that I'm married myself, and happy that way. In fact, I'm all for any two people who love each other enough to work as hard as being married requires, marrying each other. But I don't see how forcing two people into an institution the bureaucrats in question supposedly hold so sacred strengthens the concepts of marriage, family, or, it gags me to type it when I'm using it like those gee-this'll-get-me-votes politicians use it, values.

I'm sure some people wonder why those two people don't just go down to the courthouse to pay their forty bucks and get a marriage certificate that will appease the powers that be and then put it out of their minds, going on with their lives in the same arrangement they had before. I'm sad to tell you that I'd probably do that too, just for expediency's sake. There's a pretty good argument for it. It's easier, keeps 'em off you back, and if you're committed enough to buy a home and live the life that would be described in many states as a common law marriage, why not get the piece of paper and frame it upside-down on your mantel just as a conversation point?

Why should they have to, though? If it didn't bother them (for whatever reason it does) they probably would already have done it. It's clearly a deeper issue. One that goes to the heart of why some people find it so satisfying to decide for other people who are causing absolutely no harm to anyone else (or no harm, at least, that would somehow be lifted by forcing them to simply go through a charade of a civil ceremony that means nothing to either of them) what is and is not "appropriate" or "moral".

I, for one, don't think it's particularly moral to force your own concepts of religion (because, let's face it, that's what every tetchy marriage-related issue goes back to) or sanctity onto others. I certainly don't think it's very moral enact a law that allows you to sneakily sit (ugh, I hate splitting infinitives, but rewording it makes me sound like Judi Dench) in judgement of each and every otherwise-happily living and breathing family that happens into your beloved little township.

(I realize, before someone says it in the comments, that laws such as these are usually on the books to prevent 100 people from squeezing into one house and causing actual problems with sanitation and the like. I realize also that this is the excuse these people sitting in judgement of this family are hiding behind, but that application of the law has no relevancy in this case. That may be the spirit of the law, but they are using the letter of it to decide who is righteous enough to move in, and that is where my stomach turns.)

7 comments:

Brad said...

I read "RTFL" two or three times trying ot figure out what it ment. Then I used the kathy voice in my head and "read the fucking link" just rolled off my mind's tongue. hehe

I have to say that I don't think that laws like this were made to keep 100 people from living in a single house - they could make fire code laws for this. These laws are for what you wrote about. People keeping people the way they think people should be. *ick*

Shocho said...

Fuck those guys. LWC and I "lived in sin" in 1977 when it wasn't that "popular" and there were no words for it. We used words like "roommate" and people were shocked when they found out we "lived together." My mother told me, "It's just not right."

Well, it was right for us, and it's right for lots of couples, and nobody should legislate against it. I thought we had made some progress in the past 30 years, but I guess not. Fuck those guys.

Kathy said...

Kosmo: You have a Kathy voice in your head? I think there are exorcists for that. :)

Yeah, Shocho...the mister and I lived together for almost two years before the ceremony. Why? Because the ceremony happened at the right time for us. Meeting on the internet and suddenly living in the same city means that you have some things to figure out before you're sure it'll last, but who in their early twenties can't get a nicer, safer apartment with two salaries instead of one? Should I have had to live in the hood while we figured it out? Ridiculous.

DrHeimlich said...

I try not to get political on my blog very often. But this is YOUR blog, so here goes:

This is pretty much the epitome of what I think is wrong with the strong right-wing contingent that dominates goverment right now. They SAY they want "small government" (which doesn't sound bad, in principle). But in practice, they don't want broad government "relief programs," but are just fine with broad government legislation that tells you that any type of family other than the classic "nuclear family" is a crime against a God you may or may not believe in.

Sure they want "small government." A government so small, it can slide right inside your front door and tell you how to live in the privacy of your own home.

Kathy said...

Completely right, Dr. H. It's only small because they see themselves as the chosen few who know how to tell everyone else how to live. I guess it can be small if there's only two or three dozen people who are righteous enough to dictate all the answers.

Why are so few people concerned about this? Even if you were to agree with all of the things they're trying to mandate so far, it doesn't mean either that they are right to do so, or that they will not soon be dictating things you don't agree with. Some of the people who aren't troubled by this and keep voting for these pinheads will someday regret the power they've handed over to such scary people, and it will probably be too late to effectively fight them by then.

Jason said...

FYI, I tried to RTFL, but I was SOL.

Kathy said...

I was trying to figure out why they allow one child but not two or more, then it occurred to me. One child can be a "mistake" and the people can choose to live together to make the best of their unfortunate circumstances. (Phrased from their point of view, not mine.) However, two or more children are clearly deliberate, and the unholy family unit is then being created on purpose, and we can't support that kind of rampant deciding stuff for yourselves without mindlessly following someone else's idea of what's appropriate, now, can we?