Saturday, April 29, 2006

She's Growing Up Faster than I Am

I put the B in her crib about an hour ago, and she blinked up at me when I did it. When I checked on her a moment ago, she was absolutely sound asleep. Tonight was the first night I put her in her crib while she was still awake, but drowsy. She showed me last night (early this morning, actually) at 3:00 a.m. that she could put herself back to sleep after she awoke, so I decided to give her the opportunity to do it at bedtime tonight.

Now that she's asleep and cooing softly over the baby monitor, I find that I miss sitting in the darkness of her room and rocking her completely to sleep in the gliding rocker.

What happened to the tiny little baby who needed me in order to go to sleep? I looked forward to this milestone, to having a few extra quiet moments to myself each night while also being able to bask in the knowledge that she'd conquered another task of growing up. Now I find myself wondering if it'll jeopardize her progress if I rock her to sleep once or twice a week.

No comments: