Tuesday, September 20, 2005

What the—?!?

I can't believe it either, guys.With very little time left in the Monday night Cowboys/Redskins game last night, I was despondent that they were doing so poorly. I believe I speculated, when Tom walked through the room with about 4:00 left in the fourth quarter, that it wasn't whether they would come back and win but whether they would be shut out or not.

So I turned the game off. I'm not good at watching them lose to the effing Cowboys. Again.

Then they proceeded to win the fucker.

And I missed it.

Apparently, all they were waiting for was my lack of faith. Does this mean I'm not allowed to watch them anymore?

5 comments:

erika said...

I don't know much about football, but I do know about superstitions.

You can watch all you want, I think, as long as you believe innately they are going to lose.

The power is in the belief, not the watching.

Shocho said...

Many sports fans derive pleasure from watching their team play on television, whilst rooting for them to win even if they are currently doing poorly, much like one would do at the actual sporting event. YMMV.

fqdmpru

Kathy said...

S: I don't know what it is. I just can't take watching them when it looks like they're going to lose the game.

And it's not just my team. I hate watching a game with someone else when their team looks like they're going to lose. In fact, it's somewhat harder for me to watch someone else's team lose than it is for me to watch mine do the same. Dunno why it makes me so uncomfortable but I literally can't take it.

Imagine how tough it is to be in my house when the Brewers, Packers, or Blues are playing.

Maybe it's because I didn't start out a sports fan. And boy, do I hate losing. I don't think I learned how to lose gracefully (internally, at least...I have known to be an adult outwardly from time to time).

Shocho said...

Well, as shown the other night, if you don't want to watch your team when they're losing, then sometimes you won't get to see when they win. Those are the best, the comeback victories that sportscasters are always talking about. Of course, you have Tivo, so you can record all the games and only watch the ones they win if you want. :)

sbgriuod

Kathy said...

I think it was three years ago...maybe two...I recorded both Cowboys/Redskins games so I could watch it if I found out they won.

It was a waste of tape that year. I should have TiVoed the thing, but we're having issues with the cable and I'm not even mentally counting on the TiVo at the moment.

I wish I was more of an adult and I hadn't missed it. :)