Wednesday, September 21, 2005

My Goodness, the Packing

Here is a picture of one of our glasses. I know it's hard to judge the scale. I probably should have put a quarter or something in the picture so that all of you could see what sort of glass we're talking about here.

Suffice it to say, you should consider this a regular-sized drinking glass.

Now I would like to illustrate how insanely carefully the packers packed our stuff. I'm not done unpacking yet, but I swear, I still feel like I'm swimming in packing paper and empty cardboard boxes. I'd just say they over-padded the items in their boxes, but I'm not sure that statement does the truth justice.

This is the amount of packing material that was around that single glass. Again, I realize now it's hard to judge the scale. That, my friends, is a picture of four pieces of butcher paper. Butcher paper is roughly the size of a large piece of posterboard. One was partially stuffed into the glass and the rest was wrapped around the top. The next two were wrapped puffily around the glass, and then the fourth was wrapped smoothly around the outside of the entire package. When I picked the first one up, I was trying to figure out what had been in my kitchen that was that big.

I also unpacked a large box filled about 85% full with butcher paper and 15% full with a single lampshade. Yes, it was a large lampshade. Yes, it is covered in plain cloth that could theoretically be damaged if something sharp were packed with it.

I also know that I purchased that lampshade at an estate sale for $2.00. I'm not sure it was at all worth the trouble to pack all by its lonesome in a rather large box with approximately $85.00 worth of packing paper around it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go stuff some more packing paper into empty boxes so we can, you know, walk around.

No comments: