Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Spice Rack

This lovely spice rack is now up on my kitchen wall. I know it doesn't look like it, but it is actually level. There is an unusually long story that goes along with this innocent-looking spice rack.

I talked about my estate sale lampshade in the last post. This is an estate sale spice rack. I saw it in a pile of kitchen stuff, oh, must be over two years ago by now. It was marked $4.00, but it was Sunday, and Sunday was half-price day. $2.00 for a nice big spice rack! Excellent.

I snatched it up and purchased it along with some other stuff (I would never wait in a Sunday estate sale line to spend $2.00.) Packed my crap into my car and took it home. Then I looked around my kitchen in the old house.

There was no wall space large enough to hang it on. A moment's thought and I would have realized that before I bought it.

As I am not nearly kitchy enough to hang a spice rack in any room other than the kitchen, it ended up in my garage. I am physically incapable of throwing something like that away, even though I felt silly for buying it.

I should probably have offered it to CK and LWC when they bought their house, as they have plenty of wall space for something like that. By then, though, it was forgotten in a corner in my garage.

I pulled it out of one of the kitchen boxes that I didn't pack and had a momentary flash of annoyance as I remembered how I bought something I should have known I couldn't use. Then I remembered that I was in a completely new house, and looked behind me to see a roughly spice rack-sized space of open wall next to the cabinets on the stove wall.

When I finally found the level in the basement today and remembered that I knew where the screwdriver set and the toolbox were, I hung the thing and put my damn spices away.

Took me two years, but I finally got to use the bloody thing. My $2.00 at work!

No comments: