Saturday, September 10, 2005

Peace Out, Y'all


Well, we got professionally packed (courtesy of the new airplane company) yesterday and then loaded onto a moving truck (again, thank you new airplane company) today. Our old house is now empty and waiting for the closing.

Even though I had to do much more minimal labor than if we had to move ourselves, I still feel somewhat like a truck ran me over. I've just completed a two hour nap, which brings me to 9 hours of sleep over the last two days. Hopefully I will sleep most of tomorrow, when we drive somewhere between 13 and 15 hours in one day out to the arch. We have to do it in one day, you see, because we will be carrying two cats in a cage in our back seat. I just didn't have it in me to put them in the cargo hold of an airplane.

Those boxes to the right are a mere pittance of the 210 boxes and 160 "misc." items on our manifest. Where did we get all that crap?

The very good news so far is that, contrary to many professional moves, our load is the only load on the truck, and the driver is actually based out of Archtown. He is really happy to be headed home and basically asked me when I wanted the stuff delivered. I went from having a 3-7 day delivery window to being able to say, "How about 9 a.m. on the 15th?"

This means that all my televisions and my computer will be there and out, ready for the cable, telephone, and internet installer to show up that afternoon and connect everything.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Anyway, to those of you still in beach country, we're out as of tomorrow morning. Thanks for everything.

3 comments:

Shocho said...

That's great news about being the only load on the truck, and very unusual and delightful indeed, according to my experience. My other advice would be that your first reference to the Arch was fine, but nobody in St. Louis EVER says Archtown. That's right up there on the don't list next to "Saint Looie." But maybe you knew that and were being ironical. :P

DrHeimlich said...

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

TheGirard said...

:(

I wish I could have said goodbye.