Wednesday, September 28, 2005

For Our Pals in the Old 'Hood

Surely, if you watch television at all in that market, you've seen that commercial with the craggy-looking old man talking tough about some local lawyers. Part of the script is, "...tell the insurance companies...you...mean...business. Call (name of law firm)...right now!"

I have come to find out that is the low-rent version of that commercial. That script must be used all over the country, because we have a law firm here that has the exact same schtick working. Except...

It's Shatner doing the delivery! Seriously. Emmy award winning actor William effing Shatner telling me to tell the insurance companies that I mean business.

7 comments:

Trundling Grunt said...

For a while they had Robert Vaughn (aka the Man from UNCLE) doing the voice bits round here. I thought it was all very sad..what a come down. Then he left and I wondered if they'd cut him - which was even more sad and spotty. Mind you, he was crap at it.

But Shatner....oh my.

DrHeimlich said...

Shatner?! Holy crap! yeah, in VA Beach, all they could get was Robert Vaughn. (I was going to say "the bad guy from Superman III... no, not Richard Pryor. Or Christopher Reeve." But TG sort of beat me to any joke here.)

Kathy said...

I may just try to TiVo one and get a bootleg out to some of you. He looks about a hundred years old with the bad lighting highlighting the deep chasms in his face. It's an experience, seeing it.

Shocho said...

I'd rather see Robert Vaughn as a spokesman than William Shatner. Much more believable. Superior acting chops too.

GiromiDe said...

You know, the more shots I see of Shatner holding the once-used rifle, the more I wish they used more of that damn rifle. Think how different the whole franchise would have been.

Anonymous said...

Just caught up on some "old" movie watching a couple weeks back and saw The Magnificent Seven. I knew I'd seen Robert Vaughn before, but his stint as the spokesperson for Kalfus and Nachman was buried in the "Trivia" section in his IMDB profile.

Definitely a superior actor; that particular movie had quite a few greats. Robert Vaughn is the only one of the seven left alive. The rest pretty much died of lung cancer. Go figure.

thisismarcus said...

I will never forget Lowell "The Hammer" Stanley and the commercial with the mushroom cloud that suggested he could sue your way through a nuclear winter.