Monday, August 22, 2005

Where Were You on the Night Of...?

10 years ago today: August 22, 1995
I was still in Northern Virginia. I googled that date and it looks like it was a Tuesday, so I'm going to assume I was at work. Back then, I worked far too many hours at my job, mostly because I was more bored at home than I was there. I believe I was just starting to dig myself out of the financial hole I was in after my sister moved out of the apartment we shared. She did it without any forewarning while I was at work one day, leaving me with stacks of bills I thought had been paid. I think that was in July, so the timing on that should be just about right.

5 years ago today: August 22, 2000
I was probably just about nearing the most I'd ever weighed in my life, right around 210 pounds. This was apparently also a Tuesday according to the day of the week calculator I found on the all-mighty IntarWeb, so I'm going to again assume that I showed up for work. The highlight of the work day was probably walking over to the mall to have lunch in the food court with the SA guys. I'm going to guess that I was still eating fried food and a salad with two containers of bleu cheese dressing for lunch, since my weight was still on the upswing. If there was a new Buffy episode that night, it was probably the horrible Buffy vs. Dracula, so I'm just going to pretend the season hadn't started yet.

1 year ago today: August 22, 2004
This may actually have been the day of the State Championship Time Trial bicycle race. Suffice it to say, I had lost the weight by then. I ended up coming in third but getting the silver due to a registration technicality. I really wanted to win, but knew deep down I wouldn't. In the end, I was just glad to finish the thing in the 98 degree heat and do as well as I did.

yesterday: August 21, 2005
Woke up feeling not as sick (got a little cough/cold thing going since the plane flights home) as the day before. I found I could actually talk without my throat threatening to burst into flames! Spent the morning readying the house for possible buyers (again) and then hid out at CK and LWC's. They graciously allowed me to drool on their couch for a bit (I tend to nap a bit these days) and then there was football and Mario Karting and chinese food. A good time, although I fear they may be getting a bit weary of me for those eight hour stretches while I hide out from the potential buyers.

Came home. Watched the last episode of Six Feet Under ever, finding out how and when everyone on the show was destined to die. Watched Entourage with the mister, but left to retire to the bedroom when he turned on the kryptonite. Promptly got heartburn, the new joy of the second trimester. Nothing worked for hours until the mister couldn't stand to see me writhing anymore and went out at 1 a.m. in search of the three things I'd read about that are safe to take that might help: baking soda, milk, and Tums. Sadly, it seems the true remedy is a large spoonful of baking soda dissolved in a little water and drunk before you can think about how nasty it is. Killed the pain in less than 10 minutes, then staved it off again this morning at 6 a.m. when it threatened to come back.

tomorrow: August 23, 2005
Tomorrow I have to put my husband on a plane so he can start his new job. I don't see him again until September 9th. I will be spending time between here and my parents'. Other than the excuse to go see my parents, I am quite unhappy at the prospect of such a long separation.

5 snacks I enjoy
You mean now, or before I was pregnant? I'll go with "all time" stuff, after which you will see how I got to 210 pounds. 100 Grand bars, Juicy Pear jelly bellies, Swedish Fish, Mushrooms and Bleu Cheese dressing, anything but Corn Flakes out of the sugary cereal variety pack.

5 bands that I know most of their lyrics
Wish I could help you out there. Pretty much just Queen.

5 things I'd do with a million $$
Pay off a house so I could get rid of one bill a month, invest, put a GPS in my car, redo the kitchen of the paid off house with light oak cabinets and real marble countertops, put a computer in every room hooked up to a T1.

5 places I'd run away to
Honestly, I don't like to travel that much. There are a few places I wouldn't mind spending a week in. Disneyland/Disneyworld (doesn't matter which), London, Milan, the Smithsonian warehouse of things that don't fit in the museums, and Hogwarts.

5 bad habits I have
My temper, talking too much and not letting everyone else have a go, procrastination, too easily given over to frustration, and biting my cheek when I'm nervous.

5 things I like doing
Games, staying home in the quiet, watching television, reading, pondering.

5 things I wouldn't wear (Halloween costumes excepted)
Tube tops, fishnet stockings, stiletto heels, wool (allergic), a bikini.

5 TV shows I love (mostly defunct, sadly)
Veronica Mars, Entourage, The Tick, Sports Night, Max Headroom.

5 movies I love
I should just take my top 5 from the my top 50 list, but I'm going to switch it a bit to the current stuff, the ones I know will change as soon as my mood changes. Yes, one of these isn't out yet, but the anticipation of it is as good as the memory of any other movie I can think of.

Empire (but you're killing me, George Lucas), Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, The Two Towers, Love, Actually, and Woman of the Year.

5 famous people I'd like to meet
Lord, I suck at talking to famous people. I think I prefer to leave them famous and afar. Anyone I've ever met in person has become that little bit less interesting than they were before.

5 biggest joys at the moment
The mister, when the baby moves, when I don't have heartburn or nausea, naps, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

5 favorite toys
Laptop, TiVo, wireless router, digital camera, Google.

5 people to tag
The Mister (he's my husband, I can re-tag if I want to)
Brad
Karzender
Dr. Heimlich
Kindralas

No comments: