Tuesday, August 16, 2005

I Hate Pandas

Okay, so I don't hate pandas.

I just envy them a little.

Here I am, in the hotel room. I've been up for awhile, because of the time difference and having gone to sleep a bit earlier than usual. I've got CNN on in the background with the sound down.

They keep showing this tiny little baby panda and, I suppose, the mommy panda.

Can we talk about size differential? That baby panda is TINY. Miniscule. That panda probably sneezed and the baby panda was born. I doubt the mother even noticed it, as she is so massive and the baby is practically lilliputian.

Then I look over in the bed next to me and realize what the size differential on our baby might be. (The first person to note in the comments that "at least I have child-bearing hips" is gonna get whacked, be forewarned.)

Why can't I be like Zeus and just allow a fully-formed Athena to spring from my head? Every time I see a baby now, I feel like I'm eyeing it up, trying to wrap my brain around the method that they use to come into the world.

I understood all this intellectually before, you see. That is kind of like intellectually understanding how to catch a fly ball, though. I can draw you trajectories and talk about the wind, but I can't force myself to stand under one and put my glove out because I'm convinced I'll misjudge it and it will hit me in the forehead.

Somehow, I think, come late December or early January, I'll find myself wishing I was being hit in the forehead with a fly ball instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Zeus had a stinking migraine and got whacked in the head to let Athene out...no wait, that would happen to Tom wouldn't it. Gotcha.

I'm sure one of the side effects of childbirth is amnesia. Otherwise no woman would ever agree to have > 1 child. Or at least that's what my wife tells me.