Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Whammy

First off, those of you whom I saw last night, it was a great time. Thank you for putting up with my heartburn troubles when I first got there. I am really, really glad that it subsided enough for me to truly enjoy being there and have a good time.

Also, I know why you should never talk about the no-hitter now. We got word last night that an offer on the house would be coming through today. We told several people about it and I actually let the feeling of relief wash over me.

Hah! Chump.

I had a call on the answering machine when I got home from the airport that the offer would be written this afternoon instead of this morning, so I didn't really start to feel oogy about it until five o'clock rolled around. Six o'clock...seven. At eight I talked to the mister, and we decided one of us should call our realtor. I'd been holding off because I believed she wouldn't sit on new information. I mean, if she knew something, she'd call, right?

Well, it turns out I am not the center of the universe (I'm as shocked as the rest of you) and she was tied up this afternoon and early evening showing a house. I did get that trademarked, realtor "Oh, I was just about to call you..." thing when she picked up, so at least I got a laugh out of it.

Turns out there was some sort of glitch in the financing of people who have been to our house FOUR TIMES now. You would think in the week or so that it takes you to come to the same house four times you would make sure your loan is in place before you give us fifteen minutes to get out of our house so you can "look at it one more time" before you put in your offer. Not that I'm bitter about being tossed out in the middle of a really bad bout of heartburn.

Our realtor got the impression that it is possibly a problem that can be worked out tomorrow when they have another chance to speak with their lender, but for heaven's sake, they didn't have much luck with it today, did they? Plus, she's scheduled a showing for tomorrow...there were none today, I suspect because we thought there was a solid offer coming in. I don't think the new showing is a good sign that she really believes this first offer will really come through.

I really wanted to squeeze a contract in before the possible local base closing could make all of our property values go down and cause some rather interesting real estate problems for us on the Gateway City end of things. But the debate is supposed to go on tomorrow and it seems to be spooking some buyers.

Insert heavy sigh here.

I keep telling myself it'll sell, but it sure would be nice to be able to actually relax in my house instead of having to be ready to leave on a moment's notice and have it in perfect showroom condition at all times. I miss being able to leave dishes in the sink for a bit if I had to.

One more thing, just a warning. If you are around me between now and when I pull up stakes and join the mister under the arch, don't drink out of my water glass. I'm pretty much nursing baking soda water 24/7 these days, since it seems to help keep the heartburn at bay. Not that it helped last night until it was just a bit too late, but I'll do anything to keep that flaming hot pike out of my chest. That includes drinking water that smells and tastes like Formula 409. Urk.

3 comments:

thisismarcus said...

Aw, feel better! And what's the deal with "Pavel"?

Kathy said...

"Pavel" is our pre-birth nickname for the baby. Actually, it's Tom's nickname for the baby, and the one that I smile that indulgent little smile at him over.

"They" say that you should pick a neutral name for the baby before it's born so you don't get too stuck on one thing--at least until you're decided on names.

Pavel is the first name of Tom's favorite hockey player, and we always joked that we'd name our firstborn after him. I don't think I can go through with it. :)

thisismarcus said...

I assumed it was a Star Trek reference, and I think others (other nerds like me) will too.

I'm about to post more about names but wanted to waste no time recommending this site to you. It's got loads of names that are suitable for both boys and girls, origins, meanings, etc. Don't miss the advanced search functions like I did!