Friday, April 01, 2005

Moments

I just finished reading Ender's Game for about the fourth time. My most recent reading before this was several years ago, and each time I finish it, I hope that enough time will pass before I decide to read it again that I will be surprised at certain points in the book.

I'm sure we all have moments we all wish we could have back, exactly the way they happened the first time. I went to a party once that I wish I had on a full-sensory DVD, for example, just so I could pop it in and have it all back again. Ender's Game is the same way. I have hazy memories of staying up too late because I had to know what would happen next, and not seeing the surprises coming before they came off the pages of the book and into my mind's eye.

It's kind of sad that moments like that only happen once. You find yourself at book stores, squinting at covers and wondering if there's another one in there, behind the cheesy pictures of dragons or spaceships, waiting for you to reach in and take it. More often than not, even if the book is recommended, there isn't anything as good as the ones that have stuck in your memory, and you're left with only the opportunity to look again in another book and hope for the best.

No comments: