Sunday, April 10, 2005

Change? Who needs it?

I have come to the startling conclusion that I am a status quo individual.

I never really saw myself that way, but all evidence available confirms it. I stayed in a job with a commute I didn't like, a company I didn't particularly like (although the people were largely great and made things worth it) for just under 10 years. I like routines, exercise at the same time every day, take vitamins at the same time every day, get ready in the same order.

I find myself resisting the absolute need for change whenever I face it, like now, as I'm looking for a job. I am, sadly, completely aimless unless I force myself not to be. I would much rather bury myself in something familiar and luxuriate in the comforting sameness or predictablility of it.

Maybe it's all just because I don't have a clear direction. Most people would leave a job and think, "Well, I'll have another one of those, just a different one in a different place." But when your degree is in Classical Voice Performance and they don't exactly advertise for that in the paper, especially when you've tried to teach voice and realized you didn't like doing that either, and your job history is anything from answering telephones to writing fairly complex web/database applications, it's difficult to see a clear direction there.

I did try to look under snarky bitch in the job listings, but no one seems to need that right now...at least, not specifically that.

No comments: