Monday, September 04, 2006

Did We Miss Something?



First things first. Upon watching Dane Cook on HBO this evening, I have to ask: "Has anyone seen Dane Cook and Kyan Douglas from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy in the same room at the same time?" It appears Dane Cook is a raging heterosexual so I know it's unlikely they are the same person, but I believe the above is the sort of indisputable video evidence that even an NFL referee would approve of. They simply must be the same person. I kept waiting for Dane Cook to do a set on exfoliating, nose hair trimming, and applying hair gel from the back to the front.

Second. Who is this Dane Cook person? His special on HBO has been promoted as though everyone on the planet knows who he is, and now that it's on in the background, there are a metric ton worth of people who have turned out to see him in person. He said something about 18,000 people being in the audience, and I think that looks likely from what you can see on the cameras.

I looked on IMDB and didn't see anything that would indicate this sort of level of fame. Now it's driving me crazy. Where did the fame come from? Did we have a baby and completely lose touch with what is popular? I can't even tell if I think he's funny, because I'm too obsessed with the otherwordly resemblance to Kyan and my preoccupation with his apparent 1960's-Beatles-like level of fame.

1 comment:

DrHeimlich said...

Dane Cook is probably not at level of fame HBO is pimping him, but he is fairly famous in the college set these days. He's the newest "it" stand-up comedian. He's nowhere near the impossibly funny Eddie Izzard, but he's pretty good. But where EI does a very educated form of standoff, Dane Cook is a lot more base, at times crass, and very "adolescent (at heart) male." He hosted Saturday Night Live last season, which -- depending on who you ask -- was the best or worst episode of the season.

I'm sorry to say it, but yes, parenthood probably has decoolified you a notch or two if you hadn't heard of Dane Cook. Don't sweat it too much, though. I've discussed with some of my friends how marriage seems to have the same effect, but that one didn't seem to get you two... you had some "cool" to spare.