Thursday, April 19, 2007

Slate Reads Dr. Heimlich's Blog!

Do they? You be the judge. Maybe? Maybe not?

They're all right, though. We turned on the show in question when it moved to Wednesday and turned it off halfway through. I just ached with frustration at the "on rails" aspect of the show.

It's like the difference between driving a car on that ride at Disneyland and driving a real car on the real roads. Maybe it's exciting for people who don't know the difference, but it pales in comparison to the real experience.

How can something with George Takei suck? Did you guys see him in the William Shatner roast on Comedy Central? He was hilarious. On TGYH, he had his funniest moment when he first opened the door, stealing the opening line, and then they just put a knife in his heart. And that's to say nothing of the comics they have on the show who have actual improv credentials. How do they keep themselves from strangling the other actors (and I stress "actor" and not "improv participant") in the scene?

Frustrating.

3 comments:

Shocho said...

George did what George always does. He laughed a lot. Tom Green sucked, but I liked Shannon and Chelsea a lot. We laughed muchly. Foley's always good smarmy funny.

Kathy said...

Gotta disagree about Dave Foley. I like him, to be sure, but he seems extraneous here, which is a shame. He'd be better put to service, oh, I don't know...on the stage? He shouldn't be relegated to being a low-rent Drew Carey.

I don't know if I laughed out loud the whole half hour we watched, because I was so frustrated at the wasted opportunities flying around.

For god's sake, let 'em improv!

DrHeimlich said...

They read my mind. Or my blog.