Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Children of Men

No, this is not a "bad movies I like" post. This is a good movie that I had trouble watching.

I love Cuaron, learning his visual style from Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban, but then finding his other stuff afterward. I'd heard great stuff about Children of Men, so we NetFlixed it.

It was great, but it's the sort of thing I have trouble making room for to let any of it in. I've been sitting here with my laptop on my lap looking at pictures of the B as a sort of inoculation to make it through. I almost went up to grab her out of her crib and hug her, but when you're the parent and not the kid, you have to control impulses like that.

In all fairness, I knew the general subject matter of the film, and I had an idea how unrelentingly dark it was. Gosh, though, I had no idea how realistic it would seem in the big picture stuff as well as the small picture stuff. This is really more of a horror movie for me, now, than some slasher pic with no plot.

Seriously, if you are made of stronger stuff than the Jell-O that having a baby has turned me into, I highly recommend the movie. It was troubling and disturbing, but only in that, "Yeah, we've got that in us, all right" sort of way. It was really hard to watch without looking away, but I mean that in a good way.

No comments: