Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Depinked

So, there are some things that you like about a house you buy, and some things you inevitably won't. One of the things in the "won't" category for us was the Big Pink Room. It's really the formal living and dining room, but that part of the floor plan is very open and it was basically one big open space that looked like it was ever so slightly embarassed.

It really should have been. It was hideous.

I, of course, forgot to take the "before" picture. However, these are the drapes that were in there. Believe me, they matched the walls. This is a bit darker pink, but not a lot. We're talking about a 700 or 800 square foot room. That's a lotta Pepto.

I realize the people who bought our old house probably felt the same way about all the stuff we did. I'm sure they hated the tan in the hallway, the blue in the master bedroom, or the sagey green/burgundy combination we put in the dining room. They easily could have hated the fruit themed wallpaper in the kitchen. I mean, we did. But in three years we just never cared enough to go out and buy the stuff to strip it and start over.

But really, unless the new owners of our new house hated EVERYTHING we did, they have it better than we do. I could show you the Noah's Ark wallpaper room, or the master bathroom that has tannish-gold tile and vanity that they paired with a flowery pink, blue, and white wallpaper. Now, I hate both of those things. But not as much as the pink room.

This is what we replaced it with. We also just took the curtains completely down to let more light in the room. The living room portion is the only room in the house that doesn't have a built-in overhead light. Pair that with four windows covered in those heavy, dark pink drapes (complete with awful matching pink balloon valances) with nearly opaque "sheers" behind them and it was one big dark pinky mess.

I admit that I am a fool for the sagey green. In my own defense, all of our nice table linens are either green or burgundy, so painting to match that stuff was a cost-cutting measure as much as anything else. Now my tablecloth and candles and whatnot don't look so out of place.

In other news, my next post will be an exciting poll for those of you who feel like weighing in. There is this mall somewhat near the house that I ventured out to today (and I paid for the trip with a two hour nap this evening) that has a J.C. Penney outlet store. I've had the worst time trying to find some curtains for the nursery and in that one outlet store I found two possibilities. They were so cheap that I bought enough of both to use and now I have no idea how to make up my mind. Where is LWC when you need her?

So after I put up the curtain rods tomorrow, I'll dress one window in each possibility, take a few snaps, and post them. I don't know if I'll let the commenting public have the last word, but I would be interested in a vote. So keep your eyes open, vote early, and vote often.

No comments: