Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Fragments Flu

Dude, I never even worked there and I still have fragments. It seems things may happen very fast from this point on, and we may not have much notice or time to get misty-eyed. Lots of people in my fragments aren't even here still, and were cast-offs from the big D in one way or another, or are still there and are therefore staying while we almost assuredly leave.

So here goes:

I remember meeting Tom in person for the very first time at the Dagobah playtest. Asteroid Sanctuary is almost entirely my fault. Let's just not get into why.

I remember meeting Hollywood on a plane from Chicago on the way to Vale, back in 1996. We scarred the boy then and the damage still remains to this day.

I remember the morning email club. I moved my Mac to a table right next to my bed in the old Northern Virginia condo for it. That was the best.

I remember the trip to St. Louis and meeting CK and LWC, and nearly screwing it all up with LWC from the beginning. Thankfully, she's a forgiving soul.

I remember CK showing us And Now Before I Kill You Mr. Bond in that hotel on Northampton Boulevard when they first got here after big D brought him in.

I remember BK introducing me to Final Fantasy when he brought over FF VII when we used to get together at Tom's and my apartment over on Shore. He let me press X for approximately a half hour to get through a bunch of storyline stuff he'd already seen. Tom started playing it right after that, and I tried, but found it frustrating (this is before I discovered guides). Tom put a chair in front of that old, ugly blue and white couch he got from his parents and I would lay on that couch and watch him play like it was a movie. And it was, only better.

I remember beating Hollywood in sealed deck 2/3 times lifetime. And once with one too few cards in my deck. I, of course, would never have a chance against him in constructed anything, and probably would have gotten my ass kicked in sealed if the planets hadn't been aligned funny.

I remember poor Tim agreeing to play Sailor Moon CCG with Tom and me. That's major points.

I remember putting Jason's undead (who we didn't know was undead) paladin asleep with a roll of nearly all 6's while I went through everyone's stuff. This was before the beast took over that game and turned it into a really unpleasant acid trip.

I also remember CK, LWC, Jason, BK, Evan, and Tee and popcorn and gaming night and trips to the 7-11 for candy and Whoop Ass.

I can tell you now, I really never have played Acquire again since that last time, when I won. I really am retired.

This one is the trivia group, BK, Jason, CK, LWC, Evan and Tee: Noodles are the best, no no, can't deny, taste better than water, but don't ask me why.

Also for them: I'm looking for some sailors. Have you seen any sailors? You guys aren't sailors at all, are you?

Also for them: Minnesota lottery tickets. Lillian Vernon. Shake a Hamster Band.

I remember Evan counting the points so fast for Union Pacific that I couldn't even tell whether he was making it all up. Although he must not have been, because who would make Tom win most of the time?

I remember playing DDR next to Evan and the two of us coming within a thousand points of each other over and over. I especially remember AA starring Tsugaru standard with 8 greats and then Evan nearly toppling it. After that, I remember being on the second mat the first time he passed a 9, Tsugaru Apple Mix. I remember Tee telling me to just shut up and come over and DDR when I was too shy to play with anyone watching.

I remember Hollywood and trips to Munden Point Park. And the buffet. And the century.

I remember Girard and the duo Blackfathom Deeps. Kyle and my first trip to Booty Bay. CK and about a million two person endeavors, much of that time spent as wisps. Disasters in the Stockades. Glasskey Spiders. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Uldaman.

I'm forgetting so much stuff and that's why this took me a lot less time to write than it took to live this nine years we've spent here with all the wonderful people who've been here with us. I know some of us are still together, but that seems so ephemeral now, along with my memories of people who are already elsewhere, that this had to come out of my head now.

9 comments:

Shocho said...

This is the best multi-blog thread EVER! :)

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, both you and Chuck are remembering things about me (the part about putting my undead paladin to sleep) that I don't. Maybe I just managed to blot out everything that happened to me while I was working for D.

I might have to do one of these myself. Granted, it'll be three years late...

TheGirard said...

wow, i've enjoyed reading these and I wish I could do one myself, but would just feel like a copycat.

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tom said...

You can copy if you need to. Let that be my last design lesson for you...

DrHeimlich said...

Very, deeply bittersweet, reading all this. Mostly sweet, I'm glad to say. You reminded me of some truly great moments.

TheGirard said...

"sethsdisciple said...
You can copy if you need to. Let that be my last design lesson for you..."

Oh god, I hope that isn't the last thing that you teach me. I feel that I can learn so much more from you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and fuck Lillian Vernon.

Kindralas said...

I just want you all to know that I miss trivia. Horribly.