Friday, August 29, 2008

From Camel to Duck

I made such a rookie parenting mistake—I asked my two and a half year old what she wanted to be for Halloween. I asked so early because I'd like to make most or all of her costume, and one needs a bit of lead time for that sort of thing.

It took a bit of time to explain the dress-up bit, but she understand pretending, and I told her there was a day when she could pretend to be something or someone and she could dress up and have a lot of fun.

"So what would you like to be? An animal?"

"Yes! Animal!"

"How about a kitty?" (I said, envisioning making her a black hat with two little kitty ears on it, and some sort of tail.)

"Kitty! Teddy bear!"

Ah, teddy bear. That's not so bad. Brown hat with round ears, brown sweater and pants. Maybe some felt spats to cover her shoes...

"Camel!"

Camel. Ah, well. I guess I could...or...um... Knit some humps? Rig up a hat with a nose on it that spits at people?

"Are you sure? Wouldn't you rather be a kitty? Or a duck? Or a teddy bear?"

"Duck!" (relief) "No! Camel!" (aw, darnit)

I'm still hoping to turn her to kitty or duck. Teddy bear would be all right too. And she can be a camel if she wants. I'll come up with something. But still, it won't be as comfortable, so she'd probably wriggle out of a camel costume and then not have as much fun dressing up.

In my first salvo in the skirmish to change her mind, I made a hat she could use if she agrees to dress up as a duck.

Duck hat, nearly finishedDuck hat, top view with cute model

Come on. Wouldn't you be a duck if you had that hat?

4 comments:

Brad said...

I would be a duck if I had that hat. Her smile is great.

erika said...

Hahaaahaha. CAMEL!

I wonder if you could just dress her in tan and then have humps that work sort of like a backpack? Did she specify one hump or two?

Camel! Good grief.

Jason said...

How in the world does a two-year-old develop an interest in camels? I mean, I'm not clear on everything I liked when I was that age, but I can't imagine that "camel" ranked among my top 10 animals.

(And you're not a rookie parent anymore. You're in your third year. You'll need to do well next year if you want to land a good deal in free agency.)

Kathy said...

Jason: She has this, which she knows is a camel. She only had four of those wooden animals at first (more now, I think I like them as much as she does) and she learned the names of all four right away. She's pretty attached to the animals in general, and her first four in particular. So I really shoulda seen this coming.

As far as not being a rookie anymore, there's *being* a rookie, and *playing like* a rookie, and I certainly did the latter. ;)