Monday, October 15, 2007

Screw You, Her Depot

Please observe this news on The Consumerist, that Home Depot is opening a series of stores for all of us poor, unfortunate females who lack the ability to comprehend things like nails or thermostats, or the ability to withstand a moment in front of something so unsightly as a bag of dirt or grass seed. They are calling these stores Her Depot, the store for the poor little ladies who are, of course, all scared by the big, scary hardware store.

Seriously, condescension just drips off of this little venture. Screw you if you think I don't know how to pick out a drill or a belt sander. Screw you if you think we don't possess the ability to pick up these skills if we need them. Home maintenance is something anyone who owns a home should be prepared to noodle their way through, unless you go the handyman route, which is fine too. But don't give me a dumbed-down, less "frightening" store where the little lady can pick out light bulbs without all that lumber in the corner scaring her.

Just screw you.

6 comments:

Jason said...

When the article starts of with "Scary man tools," that's not a good sign. That said, I'm intimidated by the stacks of lumber.

But what's next? A sports bar for girls?

Actually, I like the sound of that...

Kathy said...

NFL.com had a section once upon a time (don't know, maybe they still do) for "women", which explained the game in very simplistic terms. That pissed me off, too. I know what a flea-flicker is, what "west coast offense" means and why it's called that, and how to do field goal math to figure out how many yards the attempt will be for before the commentators announce it. I'm not the only chick who knows those things, either. Why not just call such things a "newbie" section or something? Why is it that girl=useless know-nothing?

That all being said, and I know you will understand this (did I already tell you this story, Jason?) LOTRO anecdote, I've only let one person
"die" intentionally, as a healer, in my current MMO. He started bitching as soon as he heard me on voice chat, saying that a girl couldn't possibly keep up with the healing on the quest we were going out to work on. I thought he was kidding, but he kept asking for leadership of the group so he could kick me, and he actually broadcast a "looking for healer" on the LFF channel, even though we were full at the time, presumably to be my replacement.

I kept everyone at just about full health, including all the buffs I can do, except him. He slowly died as I topped off everyone else's health. When the fight was over, I told him I could drop, they could find a minstrel who could run to where they were who could rez him, or I could rez him and we could continue on the quest, assuming he would shut up. Another member of the group, someone in his kinship, opined that we could probably complete the task with five if I persisted on letting him take damage without healing, and that he'd better take the "no hard feelings" deal I was offering.

He never said another word over VC, and we finished the quest without another mishap. I put him on my ignore list, and I have no idea how he's making it in the game now. There are more women in LOTRO than the other MMOs I've played. He must be a miserable sexist, stuck in a game that appeals to women.

(I keep wondering if a woman as a different class would have been less offensive. Something less necessary than the healer or the tank. I wish I'd asked at the time.)

Shocho said...

Can I get a pink hammer there?

Brad said...

I see this and have a feeling that some prissy executive's wife [or maybe a a prissy company president] complained that the man tools were to scary. And hence this was born.

Jason said...

And you told me that that one person who wanted a random fellowship (I think that was it) the other day was the first non-gold spammer you put on ignore. Liar! :)

Kathy said...

Oh, I didn't lie to you, I lied to the guy who yelled at me about being a captain. I told *him* he was the first non-gold spammer I put on ignore, but it was just for bravado. I've put two or three non-spammers on ignore on the captain toon.