Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Obligatory Parental Poop Story

So, around noon, the B was in her high chair, happily eating her pears and sweet potatoes (not at the same time). It suddenly became clear that she was working on another project down in the hinterlands. She still wanted to eat (she's subtle about that, banging on the high chair table and opening her mouth) so I kept feeding her and figured we'd take care of that other little issue as soon as the sweet potatoes were all gone.

A few minutes later she's done eating and I unstrapped her. Picked her up, and it suddenly became clear in a most graphic way that I will not describe here that her diaper had not been up to the task of containment. Now, I could carry her all the way upstairs to the changing table and get the cover all mucky, or I could just throw down the plastic changing sheet out of my diaper bag and take care of it right there. I think you know what I chose.

So I'm kneeling on the floor over this plastic changing pad, using up an entire trial size plastic container of wipes trying to take care of this issue, and I finally get it mostly taken care of. Now I just have to figure out how to get her outfit over her head without getting her completely dirty. I urged her to sit up so I could manuever the onesie better, and she sat up and gave me a little, still can't believe I can sit on my own, can you? grin. As I was trying to disrobe the poor child, I heard an urk sound and when I looked down, she had thrown some of her lunch up, drenching both of her feet and hands.

I actually black out there on the details, I think in some attempt on my brain's part to keep me sane. I imagine a lot more wipes were involved (there were 15 in that unopened trial pack and they're all gone now). I had an emergency onesie in my diaper bag along with a new diaper, so I put her in those and popped her into her exersaucer so I could do some damage control on her little outfit so it wasn't quite so gross. I did things with the little sprayer on the kitchen sink that, I assure you, it wasn't designed for. Then I used some sink cleaner with bleach in it to make sure it was clean, wrapped the sopping wet onesie in a bunch of paper towels, and took it down with a few other things to the washing machine.

When I retrieved the offspring from the exersaucer, I took her straight upstairs and started running water for her bath. No matter how many wipes you use, after something like that, only warm water and baby shampoo are going to erase that experience from your memory.

She is now clean and happy. I mean, of course she's happy. She never has to remember this experience. I, on the other hand...

1 comment:

Shocho said...

That is EXACTLY what that sink sprayer is for. No book or birthing class tells you about that experience, and I think it happens with every child. Only when there is one parent around, too. You never quite realize how many things can happen at once. There should be a merit badge for that kind of operation. You earned yours.