Monday, December 19, 2005

Staying Home

You start to look foward to different stuff when you stay home all the time. (Hey, the baby sleeps sometime, and mama has to have something to do.)

Today I was delighted to realize that the Ellen show was in reruns and the first rerun of the week was the episode where they brought out Salt N Pepa to surprise Ellen at the end. If you haven't seen it, one of Ellen's HBO comedy specials shows her rapping the entire first section of Shoop. It's not funny, exactly, although it's not un-funny (considering how disinterested she is in lyrics like "Girls, what's my weakness? Men!")

I couldn't figure out why I was so fascinated at her rendition (I once fast-forwarded through the entire special when it was on our On Demand thingie on our cable system to watch just that one two-minute bit all the way at the end) until it occurred to me what makes it unique. One word: commitment.

Everything is better, more satisfying, more entertaining when there is total commitment. As someone with a degree in performance, I have to say that commitment is often the most difficult part of any kind of presentation.

Plus, how funny is it to watch anyone say, "Lick him like a lollipop should be licked"?

No comments: