Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Love, Actu—Huh?

So, I mentioned before that our last TiVo bit it in the power outages from the last ice storm, and that we'd done a replacement with the company and were set up to TiVo again.

However, we did lose everything that had been on our old TiVo, some of which was quite old and was sort of a bonus to have there if one of us woke in the middle of the night and had trouble going back to sleep. On that list of stuff on "keep until I delete" for months (or in some cases, well over a year) were several episodes of Good Eats, a couple of Futuramas, three episodes of the first season of the new Doctor Who, and the movie Love, Actually. It was Love, Actually that was the go-to program for me most of the time, being pressed into service whenever I needed something reassuring on in the background to allow me to go back to sleep.

While I have the movie on DVD, we don't have a DVD player in the bedroom and who wants to get up at 2 am to put on a DVD anyway? I set up a keyword search on Love, Actually, assuming one premium channel or another would dust it off and program it for the Christmas season.

Instead, USA network put on a "basic cable safe" version of it. As a curiosity, as I am probably the closest thing on the planet to someone who would gleefully collect Love, Actually curiosities, it is interesting to watch. Billy Mack's tirade of swearing in the recording studio is replaced with an emphatic "Ohhhhhhh!" When Natalie meets the Prime Minister, instead of swearing several times in front of him, she instead impulsively kisses him. Jack and Judy, the body doubles, basically seem to have had to film their entire appearances in the movie twice...once with rampant nudity and once without.

It's just so odd that there's enough stuff in the movie that it wouldn't have made sense in a purely censored version, and the makers of the film actually saw it coming far enough in advance to film entirely different versions of scenes that would make the storylines nonsensical by their omission.

I actually might keep this version, just because it seems like some sort of weird ultra-rare, like a foil Charizard or something. It does suck with the commercials in, though.

2 comments:

DrHeimlich said...

I wanted to comment on this last time you talked about your pooor, fallen TiVo, but Blogger was in Beta at that point, and not particularly down with allowing me to comment...

I don't even want to think about losing a TiVo. Horror! Like you put it so perfectly, a Season Pass and WishList requests are like a fine wine or cheese or something cultivated with time -- not something easily replaced.

And hell, I'll say it -- Love Actually is in my top 100 too. Probably not as high as you'd rate it, but I thought it was a damn good movie. So there.

Kathy said...

We are still stumbling along trying to refine the season pass list and other stuff. The frustrating part is that several of the shows that we TiVo regularly are on hiatus and therefore, aren't available in the search function to set up the pass. I could do a keyword search for them, but then I'd also get, for example, all of the syndicated 24 reruns and whatnot, because I don't fully trust the TiVo to know what is and isn't a first run episode, as that's bit me in the ass on previous occasions.

We'll get it set up again, though, hopefully before the dodgy electrical grid nukes this TiVo.