Thursday, August 10, 2006

In My Eyes

My eyes have been twitching for the past few months, so I decided I should go for an eye exam and see if my prescription had changed. I figured it had in the three years since my last one, and my glasses are falling apart, anyway.

I had my appointment last night. I was asked about a million times if I wanted contacts, and I kept saying no.

"Your daughter grabs at your glasses, right? Wouldn't contacts be better?"

"No, because I barely get time to shower, much less put contacts in and take them out."

"Do it when she's napping."

"I don't really want them. I tried them before and they bothered my eyes. I don't like that sensation that there's something in my eye."

"Oh, the ones you had before must have been badly fitted. That feeling is supposed to go away shortly after you put them in."

"It never did. It was itchy and uncomfortable, and I can't imagine ever not being able to feel something, even something that narrow, that is sitting on your eyeball. I really don't want them."

Even with this conversation, I somehow managed to get talked into "trying them until my glasses arrive". (I had to go to a place that participated in the vision insurance plan we have, which wasn't one of the one-hour places I've always gone to before and walked out the same day with new glasses, which I prefer.)

They gave me a pair of contacts and a starter kit, and reminded me how to put them in and take them out. I left with them on my eyes, and by the time I got home, I wanted to pull my eyeballs out. I actually had a little panic attack trying to get those bastards out because I couldn't get the left one out and my reptile brain was screaming, "Get that thing off your eye! You'll go blind!"

I'm not even going to think about putting those things back in my eyes. I am so mad that I let myself get talked into trying it. Even this morning, my eyes still feel funny.

He must get a huge cut of the contacts money, plus all the fitting exams and whatnot. What he doesn't know is that, for the people who are pissed off at getting pressured, he'll never see those people again after they pick up their glasses. I'm never going back after I pick up my glasses, and if they even try to talk me into trying them again, I'm going to pick up my glasses and walk out mid-sentence.

Did I mention that they had all the insurance information wrong and kept trying to charge me for stuff that was covered? And tried to talk me into saving the insurance for the contacts instead of using it for the glasses? And tried to talk me into getting shitty glasses because "I'd be wearing the contacts all the time anyway?"

So mad.

3 comments:

Shocho said...

Ick. I am also a former contact lens wearer, and I'm not gonna wear 'em again either. I hate the whole "do you want fries with that" upselling mentality that is everywhere in this stupid country. I don't CARE if you get a commission, I don't WANT them so STFU!

Major Rakal said...

I hate it when healthcare people think they know more about what your eyes, teeth, or whatever feel like than you do. (Dentist: "That doesn't hurt, does it?" -- after you've just jumped out of the chair when the drill hit your molar.)

I got soft contacts around 20 years ago for the sole purpose of wearing on stage when I was in a theater group. (So I could see enough not to fall into the orchestra pit.) I never could get used to them. The eye doctor said both lenses should feel the same because he couldn't see any difference between my eyes. But while the right one was mostly tolerable, the left one usually felt, well, like I had a piece of plastic in my eye. Even fitted with a left lens that was thinner than the right one.

Doug W. said...

As a 25 year contacts wearer...I have to agree with you...if they are not for you, they are not for you...you should not have to deal with upselling.

If they are good for you, great...I cannot stand wearing glasses...mainly because my eyes are so bad that I find myself getting dizzy wearing glasses...