Sunday, November 16, 2008

Okay, Let's Think of a New Way to Market Toys

My daughter is tall. She's always going to be tall. I wouldn't be shocked if she was the tallest person in her class for the rest of her life. That's person, and not just tallest girl. I know this will cause her some moments of pain, but there's always something.

I don't want to be too egotistical here, either, but I have an inkling she's going to be one of the "smart kids", and will catch some flack for that over her academic career.

She's going to be different in enough ways that might cause her some trouble over the course of her life. Given that, I really wish we could start this evolution away from being so stuck in our ways as far as gender typing is concerned.

It's time for us to let go of all those primitive preconceptions, relax, and let our kids explore the whole world with fewer needless labels. Nothing they play with when they're three or five or seven is going to make them anything other than what they intrinsically are and will be no matter what.

I am so sick of this obsession with "boy toys" and "girl toys". Yes, I understand that there is a phase that most kids go through when they first begin to understand gender and they become either hyper-feminine or hyper-masculine while they try to wrap their brains around this new idea and what effect that has on their place in the world. I just don't understand why we take this one phase of child development and blow it out of proportion. Kids are obsessed with gender roles for a year or so. Their parents, many times, are obsessed with them from the moment they discover the gender of their baby until, oh, ever.

Here is just one manifestation of this phenomenon:

First, here's something subtle you might not have noticed. There is one more item in the "boy" list than the "girl" list. This tells me that things left off of the girl's list were left off on purpose and not due to space constraints.

Also, this graphic (taken from a major online retailer) appears on their 3-4 year old toy guide page. At ages 3 and 4, many, many kids are not this gender specific. Their parents might be, pushing cars on little Johnny even though he might be asking for a doll (a perfectly normal form of pretend play, especially if he has a younger sibling) and putting princess hats on their daughters who might be more interested in trains or blocks. The fact that they're pushing such baldly obvious gender typing on kids in an age group that predates the typical age range where awareness of gender roles comes into play just shows how much of the gender differences and gender gap is nurture and not nature.

Further, the very idea that the only toy that boys and girls can agree on is "music" and that universal things like "building sets and blocks" are the exclusive playground of boys is frankly, offensive.

There's an expression I hate that says, "Boys will be boys and girls will be either." In other words, boys play with boy toys and girls play with girl and boy toys. Maybe you think that this means that girls are able to look at their world from more different and varied points of view, but I think it's more true that the toys seen as exclusively for girls exist in a sort of "not good enough for a boy" gulag, looked down on by the boys who play with the sort of toys that introduce them to a more realistic version of the world (compare playing with cars and trains during imaginative play and playing princesses, and then consider which one is more likely to prepare them for the world we live in.)

When you further consider that the foundations for interest in math and science are laid in play with blocks and interest in things like dinosaurs (which spark trips to natural history museums and the like) and trains (which can be turned into an interest in mechanical engineering as they grow older and want to know how things work), labeling those things "for boys" is a disservice in every way to our young girls.

I was once kept out of an algebra class in the eighth grade by a male math department head, despite the fact that I had the highest score in my grade on the test used to place us in the "right" math class. His excuse was that he "thought I'd want to be with my little friends." The principal backed him.

My friends were guys. I didn't know a single person in the eighth grade pre-algebra class I took, which bored me so much that it's the closest I've ever come to getting trouble for spacing out in class and not paying attention. My friends were boys, by the way, because they didn't seem as affronted by my interest in math and science as the girls were.

Maybe it was because the girls were brainwashed by gender stereotyping, and my insistence on ignoring the boundaries made them uneasy. Maybe we would never have gotten along anyway, and it was immaterial.

But you know what? As long as we keep brainwashing our kids to stay safely in their assigned gender roles, we're never gonna know.

4 comments:

Shocho said...

You know how they tell you to offer your baby an object without favoring either hand so they don't become left- or right-handed? Why don't we do that later on with the toys we buy for them?

Most manufacturers think that making something pink means it's for women and that's all you have to do (look at the pink MLB hats and NFL jerseys).

Smart and tall provide many excellent weapons for battling bullies in school, I need to speak with you at length about this.

Anonymous said...

At the age group birth to about 9, toys are marketed to the adults not the kids. Kids don't care until 9. Yes your child will show interest in items shown on TV and they may have a favorite color, but it won't pink or blue which is how most companies differentiate between boys and girls. Let's face it, if you know your child, you buy because you know it will interest or teach or bring joy to that little person.

As far as teasing goes, I had my fair share being cross-eyed, wearing glasses, the newest kid in school 6 times, the taunts were endless, but now as an adult, I realize that there were also other children in my classes that were abused in the same ways. Much to my chagrin, I joined in on some of these taunts to be a part of a group. As I got older, I went my own way and tried not let it bother me. Teach her that tall and smart are the best things to be. Most important thing is to be proud of being HER!

Jason said...

Maybe it's just the point of view of my gender, but it seems like gender roles are more strictly enforced going one way than the other.

A girl (saying about 10 and up, when gender roles are pretty well known) who plays with trains and blocks might be considered a little odd, but it's not embarrassing, I'd think. (I could be wrong, of course...when you told your female friends you were into algebra, did they go all Malibu Stacy on you?)

A 10-year-old boy who plays with dolls? That'll get you a kick in the nuts.

Consider, too, the pseudo-gender-bending we see as adults in the real world and on TV/movies. A female mechanic, scientist, action hero...those are kinda cool, and I think a log of girls, regardless of sexual orientation, are drawn to those (as are men, for other reasons). A male fashion designer, ballet dancer, nanny...not so much.

Girls can wear pants. Boys can't wear dresses. And maybe you can call me a gender-role-enforcing traditionalist, but I don't have a problem with that.

Kathy said...

Hey J!

Yeah, actually you do get ostracized a little if you're a girl and you do non-girl-typical things. This would be why 90% of my friends over the entire course of my life were guys and not girls. It wasn't just a question of compatible interests, but sometimes it was clearly, "Oh, you're that girl in the hard math class. Whatever, I'm not talking to you."

Agreed, boys can tend toward dealing with boys who go outside gender-typical stuff in a physical way whereas girls usually default to just being snotty or verbally mean. I'd rather get called a name than punched any day, so I can see where a boy would find the prospect of a fight because of his doll more of a deterrent than just some girl being nasty to you because you know what a cosine is or you like trains.

I'm sure you noticed that I was careful to frame a lot of my frustration with indoctrinating kids in gender roles from early ages as exasperation with both boys *and* girls being shoehorned into their traditional roles. I think it's a shame that boys are made to feel odd for wanting to take a dancing class if that's what they want to do and are interested in. I know a lot of the boys in chorus with me through high school took some static over it, and I think that's ridiculous.

(And as far as clothing goes, I get that we're probably not going to make societal changes that end up with men showing up at work in a skirt. However, I think if boys are playing "pretend" or "dress-up" and put on a tiara or a frilly dress to be silly, I don't think anyone should start hyperventilating. All that "but what does it MEAN about little Johnny?" hand-wringing is ridiculous and more about the adult's hangups than anything else. At young ages, they're just kids, and they're just playing. It doesn't mean or not mean anything in particular.

I also think trying to change that is pretty much a losing battle, too, but I can dream.)