Monday, March 17, 2008

Stickers

Let me tell you an odd little fact—my daughter seems to be afraid of stickers.

Sometimes when you go into a store that caters to kids, like a children's shoe or clothing store, they have stickers stashed behind the counter to give out. However, I noticed her aversion to them first when I went to vote in the last primary. I put the "I voted" sticker on my jacket, and then the nice lady behind the check-in table offered one to the B. She took it, but resisted any attempt to put it on her jacket like mine. It was funny at first when it stuck to her finger, but then, once we were in the car, she wanted it off of her.

Ever since then, when she waves and says "hi" to the employees in the store and ends up getting a sticker offered to her, she might giggle a little, but we have to take the sticker from them because she won't touch it. It takes too long to explain that she doesn't seem to understand what the stickers are all about, so we take them and move on. Any attempts on our part to get her interested in the sticker are met with a well-practiced, two year-old's "no!"

Considering the fact that modern bathroom learning techniques seem to be focused on using stickers and sticker books as rewards, I realize now that we're going to have to think outside the box where that is concerned. I don't see this sticker aversion going away anytime soon.

2 comments:

Jason said...

She would not be among the target audience for the Beyblade TCG, then?

Kathy said...

Unfortunately, decidedly not.