Monday, July 16, 2007

OotP Movie Musings

Thanks to my nephew, who consented to listen to the B over the baby monitor for three hours, we saw Order of the Phoenix last night.

Spoilers for the movie/book forward from this point. This is your final warning.

I'm not one of those "but it's not exactly like the book!" people. I'm really not. However, that being said, I think the movie left out one rather important thing. They never had Umbridge say that she was the one who set the Dementors on Harry while he was at his Aunt and Uncle's. That was a rather interesting thing in the book, since everyone would otherwise have naturally assumed that Voldie had done it after recruiting them to his side, but the fact that Umbridge did it really shone a light on the themes of governmental corruption and totalitarianism that were in the book. Sort of a proof that the "big bad" isn't the only bad.

It's slightly minor, but that's my only real complaint. (Well, the Dept. of Mysteries battle could have been longer, and Harry's time at Privet Drive, as always, could have been shorter, but that's also just my opinion.)

God, I hate the Dursleys.

No comments: